September 27, 2006,
The Chrysler Group is set to inspire the D-segment with the all-new Chrysler Sebring, which today takes centre stage for the Chrysler brand at the “Mondial de l’Automobile” in Paris. The Chrysler Sebring builds on the winning formula begun with the award-winning Chrysler 300C in the E-segment, combining eye-catching design with interior craftsmanship, high levels of reliability and durability, customer-focussed technology and safety features, brisk performance and fuel efficiency, all at good value for money.
“The all-new Chrysler Sebring sustains our momentum by bringing to market a compelling vehicle that addresses the needs and wants of many European D-segment buyers,” said Thomas Hausch, Executive Director – International Sales and Marketing, Chrysler Group. “The new Chrysler Sebring is the first Chrysler Group D-segment vehicle not only to offer a diesel powertrain, but also right-hand-drive availability, which allows us to expand our customer reach around the globe.”
The new Chrysler Sebring saloon is available outside North America in two models, Sebring Touring and Sebring Limited, and will begin to arrive to international dealerships in the first half of 2007.
Beautiful Chrysler Design
Inspired by the Chrysler Airflite concept vehicle that was revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in 2003, the all-new Chrysler Sebring’s elegant lines evoke the exterior styling features of that Chrysler vehicle, bringing the Chrysler brand’s expressive design attributes to the D-segment.
“Sleek and sophisticated, the Chrysler Sebring’s overall surfacing and details reflect the Chrysler brand’s four attributes: expressive, refined, athletic and passionate,” said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Design. “Chrysler Sebring’s elegant styling provides a clear alternative to the traditional competitive set.”
From the front, the Chrysler Sebring saloon features the distinctive face of the Chrysler brand, with the Chrysler signature grille, a uniquely sculptured bonnet, large, distinctive quad headlamps and fog lamps.
A long bonnet profile, bright beltline moulding and long roofline emulate a five-door appearance. High-gloss blackouts on the B-pillars enhance the length of the Chrysler Sebring’s greenhouse. Sculptured character lines running along the body accentuate Sebring’s athletic stance.
The expressive character of the vehicle continues at the rear where Chrysler Sebring’s wide taillamps are integrated into the rear quarters and extend into the deck lid for visual impact. Rear fog lamps mounted in the backup lamps maintain a uniform appearance for all vehicles regardless of their destination.
Elegant Interior Craftsmanship
The elegance found in Chrysler Sebring’s exterior styling also runs through the vehicle’s interior, which features a modern, clean appearance with intense focus on quality, detail and execution.
“Chrysler Sebring’s interior takes a different direction from many of the current D-segment saloons on the road. Its form is inspired by the Chrysler uplifted winged badge motif and incorporates new and fresh decorative elements,” Creed added.
Chrysler Sebring’s finely crafted interior features soft surfaces, mechanical grains and selective gloss levels on the interior surfaces.
From the driver’s seat, Chrysler Sebring’s H-point is 6.45cm (2.54 in.) higher than the vehicle it replaces, giving drivers a command-of-the-road seating position. 60/40 split fold-flat rear seats make room for more gear, and a fold-flat passenger seat creates a table-like surface to enhance the versatility of Sebring’s interior.
All Chrysler Sebring models feature a two-tone interior colour theme of dark and lighter shades of Slate Gray or Pebble Beige, which provides a spacious and well-appointed look. The Sebring Limited model also features an exclusive two-tone Cream and Pebble Beige interior with leather seats.
Petrol and Diesel Powertrain Options
Four engine options will power the all-new Chrysler Sebring in Europe: three petrol engines and one diesel engine, making this the most full powertrain lineup ever for the Chrysler Group in the D-segment.
Chrysler Sebring’s standard 2.0-litre petrol World Engine with dual Variable Valve Timing (VVT) rivals other four-cylinder engines in the D-segment with its combination of fuel economy and solid performance. Mated to a five-speed manual transaxle, this engine is estimated to provide 152 hp DIN (112 kW) and 190 N•m (140 lb.-ft.) of torque.
The 2.4-litre petrol World Engine with dual VVT, as available for the new Chrysler Sebring, is matched to an automatic transaxle with Auto Stick, which gives the driver manual shifting control or fully automatic operation. The engine is estimated to generate 173 hp DIN (127 kW) and 224 N•m (165 lb.-ft.) of torque – both increases over the 2.4-litre engine it replaces.
Available at a later stage in Europe is an enhanced 2.7-litre V-6 petrol engine paired with a responsive automatic transaxle.
Chrysler Sebring saloon also is available with a modern 2.0-litre turbo diesel engine that is estimated to produce 140 hp DIN (103 kW) and 310 Nm (229 lb.-ft.) of torque, coupled with a six-speed manual transaxle. This diesel engine, a first for the Chrysler Group in the D-segment, will deliver excellent performance and fuel economy.
Purposeful Technology that Makes Life Easier and Safer
In addition to Chrysler Sebring’s upscale design, elegant use of materials and full powertrain lineup, this all-new saloon brings new levels of function and technology to the D-segment.
“Chrysler Sebring features a whole host of new technologies that make life easier and safer for the driver and passengers,” said Stephane Labous, Director – International Marketing and Communications. “These features reinforce the Chrysler brand’s approach to customer-focussed innovation.”
The all-new Chrysler Sebring features a cutting-edge information, entertainment and communication navigation audio system that raises the bar on in-vehicle communications. This next-generation navigation radio features a 16.5cm (6.5 in.) Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display with a touch-screen panel that can support 65,000 colours. The system provides a two- or three-dimensional appearance to graphics and animation, as well as multiple font sizes and styles. The system provides real-time traffic updates and incorporates many new features for music, sound, movies and personalised picture displays, including:
- A 20-gigabyte hard disc drive for storing map data for the navigation system and photos
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) port that allows for the transfer of photos onto the hard drive
- Voice memo recording, which allows a message up to three-minutes long to be recorded using the microphone integrated into the rearview mirror
- Display screen that can display movies when the vehicle is in park
- Capability to support three simultaneous audio output sources
- UConnect® Hands-free Communication System, available as an after-sales accessory, that uses Bluetooth® technology to provide voice-activated wireless communication between the occupants’ compatible mobile phone and the vehicle’s onboard receiver
- Functionality in six languages (Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish)
In addition to this innovative navigation radio, the new Chrysler Sebring also offers a unique combination of features not available on other D-segment competitors, including standard features like:
- An auxiliary audio input jack for MP3 connectivity and play capability on all audio systems
- Automatic temperature control
- Cabin air-filtration system
- Express-down front windows on the key fob
- YES Essentials worry-free seat fabric – an easy-care, soil-repellant and anti-microbial textile that protects seats from stains, odours and discolouration
- 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat
- Fold-flat front passenger seat
- Light-Emitting Diode (LED) interior lighting with high-focus white lights in both the front and rear seats (late availability)
- Sliding centre console armrest with dual storage bins underneath
Additional available features include:
- Heated/cooled front cup holder for keeping hot beverages hot and cool beverages cool. Cup holder can heat beverage to 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) or cool to nearly freezing at 2 degrees Celsius (35 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Rear-seat DVD video entertainment system (late availability)
- Heated cloth front seats
- Heated leather front seats
- Rear cargo organiser
Full Package of Safety Features
Chrysler Sebring offers an array of standard and available safety features that clearly enhance its value, including:
- Advanced multi-stage front air bags: provide nearly instantaneous occupant protection by matching air bag output to crash severity
- Supplemental side-curtain air bags: deploy from the headliner to provide two rows of side-impact protection to outboard occupants
- Supplemental front-seat-mounted side air bags: deploy for enhanced thorax protection during a side impact
- Side guard door beams: in front and rear doors to provide occupant protection during a side impact
- Structural safety cage: protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS): senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) and Traction Control System: assist the driver in maintaining vehicle directional stability by applying selective braking and throttle control to manage oversteer, understeer and to maintain traction during acceleration on slippery surfaces
- Brake Assist System (included with ESP): ensures 100 per cent brake efficiency during panic brake situations
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System: alerts the driver to low pressure tyre(s) by a warning light in the instrument cluster. A premium system displays individual tyre pressure, available with the Electronic Vehicle Information System
- BeltAlert: provides an audible and visual warning to alert drivers when their seat belt is unfastened
- Child seat anchor system (ISOFIX): eases installation of compatible after-market child seats
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Remote keyless entry: locks and unlocks doors and turns on interior lamps. If the vehicle is equipped with a vehicle-theft security alarm, the remote also arms and disarms that system
- Sentry Key® Engine Immobiliser: utilizes an engine key that has an embedded transponder with a preprogrammed security key code to shut the engine off after a few seconds if the correct key is not inserted
Chrysler Sebring Target Customer
Outside North America, the Chrysler Sebring is designed to appeal to buyers 35-55 years of age, most of whom are married and well educated. Target customers have a median income of approximately 60,000 Euros, and many have small families with one or two children. These D-segment car buyers are down-to-earth, somewhat conservative and success-oriented, yet are open-minded, self-confident and desire to be different from others. Their lives are active, and they value style. Sebring’s elegant and sophisticated design – packaged with interior craftsmanship and essential levels of safety, reliability and durability – meets the needs of customers who want more than just practicality in this competitive segment.
Chrysler Sebring Production
Production of the all-new Chrysler Sebring began in the third quarter of 2006 at the newly refurbished Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Mich. (USA).