June 26, 2014,
Auburn Hills, Mich.
Don’t be misled by its size. Whether the job is delivering packages, organizing and hauling the tools of a professional tradesman or carting the band’s gear to the next gig, the all-new 2015 Ram ProMaster City van is designed and engineered to tackle big jobs with best-in-class cargo area of 131.7 cubic feet, payload capacity of 1,883 pounds and standard fuel economy up to 29 miles per gallon (mpg). It does so while delivering versatile functionality, durability and superior ride and handling.
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City shares its basic design with the highly successful, two-time International “Van of the Year” Fiat Doblò, which is sold around the world. Now in its third generation, the Fiat Doblò is the preferred workhorse for business and commercial uses, a status gained via ideal size for crowded urban environments and a host of thoughtful and innovative features.
Starting with a winning template, Ram Truck engineers subjected the front-wheel-drive van to the full spectrum of severe-duty use expected of commercial vehicles in North America – from the blazing desert heat of Las Vegas to frigid Northern Michigan, from battling stop-and-go traffic in congested downtown Los Angeles to hauling cargo up and down mountain roads in Colorado. The lessons from millions of combined development miles make the 2015 Ram ProMaster City more robust, durable, functional, comfortable and cost effective for any use.
Key changes for North American customers include:
- Ride height is increased. North American roads are rougher than other parts of the world. Increased ride height enables the Ram ProMaster City’s suspension to manage the greater vertical loads
- Chassis components and anchor points are upgraded to insure that the Ram ProMaster City’s durability exceeds the demands of customers
- Engine box and front track are widened to accommodate the standard 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine and nine-speed automatic transmission
- Several structures in the unibody are strengthened for the Ram ProMaster City to comply with U.S. safety regulations
- Standard all-season tires, mounted on 16-inch wheels, are rated to handle higher weight loads
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City will be offered in two-seat Tradesman Cargo Van and five-seat passenger Wagon configurations.
“For both small and large businesses, the vehicle fleet is a linchpin of their operations,” said Mike Cairns, Director of Ram Truck Engineering. “The 2015 Ram ProMaster City is designed to be the most capable small commercial van, but also fuel efficient and fun to drive. It’s bound to become any workman’s favorite tool.”
Unibody design: rugged and weight smart
The ProMaster City’s DNA starts with the proven Fiat Doblo commercial van, a two-time International “Van of the Year” award winner with more than 1.3 million units sold worldwide and now in its third generation. The van has undergone extensive testing to prepare for its North American debut. Rougher roads and maximum payload handling objectives have led to specific reengineering of the chassis. The foundation of the 2015 Ram ProMaster City is a steel unibody design where the floor pan, cross members, side panels and fully boxed frame rails are welded together into an integrated unit. This architecture gives the ProMaster City’s body a high degree of structural rigidity – a critical solid foundation that minimizes noise, vibration and harshness and enables the suspension to be tuned for a smoother ride. Also, the unibody architecture helps minimize curb weight, a key contributor to the ProMaster City’s best-in-class payload capability of 1,883 pounds. A wheelbase of 122.4 inches offers impressive ride and handling while creating the space needed for the largest cargo area in the segment at 131.7 cubic feet.
Particular attention was paid to the ProMaster City’s engine box, which was re-engineered to house the powerful 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine and exclusive nine-speed automatic transmission and deliver enhanced lateral stiffness to the front of the vehicle – which translates as a solid feeling from the driver’s seat.
A tow package is available on the ProMaster City with an unsurpassed 2,000-lb. towing capability.
The Ram ProMaster City’s front axle uses a proven, durable and compact MacPherson strut suspension, tuned for rougher North American roads. The setup includes large-diameter shock absorbers, steel springs and a solid stabilizer bar. Stamped steel clamshell control arms are strong and weight efficient. The front suspension components are specifically tuned to handle the ProMaster City’s class-leading payload capacity.
In a departure from standard practice in the Class 1 van category of using rear leaf springs, the Ram ProMaster City upgrades to an independent, bi-link rear suspension. The ProMaster City’s rear suspension incorporates a category-unique independent bi-link configuration that increases driving comfort, enhances stability, and ensures maximum safety characteristics in all load situations. This bi-link suspension enhances stability and provides first-class ride and handling throughout the ProMaster City’s load range. It is also is a key enabler of the van’s low 21.5-inch step-in height.
Ram engineers put an emphasis on solid feel and durability for the ProMaster City’s braking system.
Optimally sized 12-inch front disc brakes include pad wear sensors to alert operators of low lining life and deliver stopping distance and pedal feel at the top of the ProMaster City’s category. Additionally, a larger pad-to-disc swept area results in outstanding durability, lower related maintenance costs and enhanced up-time qualities. Rear 10-inch drum brakes are engineered for durability and performance and carry thicker long-wear linings as well.
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City uses a proven hydraulic-assist rack-and-pinion steering system. Fitted with a premium steering gear, the system delivers a European-inspired, solid feeling to the driver – critical when the ProMaster City is carrying cargo but also a delight under any driving condition.
A tilt-and-telescoping steering column is standard on all versions of the Ram ProMaster City.
The Ram ProMaster City uses a front-wheel-drive layout that provides several benefits:
- Fewer mechanical parts, resulting in less weight, lower maintenance costs (in large part because there’s no rear differential), enhanced mechanical efficiencies and enhanced fuel efficiency
- Optimal cab and cargo compartment space, attributable to the absence of a transmission/prop shaft tunnel – a key enabler to achieving a flat-floor in the cargo compartment area
- More predictable handling in emergency maneuvers (reduced over- and under-steer characteristics)
- Enhanced traction in rain, mud and snow, a result of the engine weight being situated over the drive wheels
- Greater payload capability due to lighter overall vehicle weight
The Ram ProMaster City is thoughtfully designed with the working individual in mind. The hard-working credentials start with a 48.4-inch span between the rear wheel wells, the widest in the class. Why is width important? Construction tradesmen know that 48 inches is a common dimension for building materials and loaded pallets – yet those materials rarely measure exactly 48 inches. The width between the ProMaster City’s wheel wells provides an extra margin of capacity so that building materials and pallets can be loaded quickly and easily, without concern over whether the load fits.
Above the wheel wells, the ProMaster City’s nearly vertical side panels give it a best-in-class width of 60.4 inches. Combined with an interior roof height of 51.8 inches, the result is best-in-class volume of 131.7 cubic feet for the cargo van version of the ProMaster City. The vertical side panels are upfitter-friendly and simplify the attachment of shelves or storage racks for specialized commercial use.
The floor of the ProMaster City cargo van measures 87.2 inches in length and is fitted with six standard equipment D-ring tie downs to secure cargo in place. The floor has an available flush-fit, non-slip vinyl mat that’s easy to clean.
Each side of the Ram ProMaster City is fitted with a sliding door that securely latches in the open position, preventing an accidental closure if the vehicle is parked on a slope. Each sliding door creates a 26-inch opening to access the cargo compartment. The roof of the Ram ProMaster City is prepped for load rails or roof racks, available through Mopar with a weight capacity of 154 pounds. Sealed, pre-threaded roof mounting points make accessory installation simple.
The rear of the Ram ProMaster City is fitted with 60/40 split rear doors. Using lessons learned from European customers, the larger door swings open toward the traffic (driver) side of the van, making it easy to quickly access larger cargo items and not block the path to the curbside of the van. Both rear doors initially swing open 90 degrees, and can swing to 180 degrees with a simple press of a release button on the door latch. The latch automatically re-engages when the door is closed.
The passenger wagon version of the Ram ProMaster City is equipped with a three-passenger second row. The second-row seating is split 60/40, with each section capable of folding and tumbling forward to expand cargo room. With the seats in place, the ProMaster City passenger wagon offers close to four feet of cargo length to the rear doors. With seats folded and tumbled, Ram’s new van provides nearly six feet of cargo length. The passenger wagon maintains the wheel-well width, side-wall width and roof height of the cargo van.
A significant amount of time was spent in the wind tunnel to reach best-in-class fuel economy targets. Underbody aerodynamic shields, spoilers, tires and outside mirror optimization all contributed to helping the ProMaster City slip through air.
All versions of the Ram ProMaster City are equipped with 16-inch wheels and low-rolling- resistance tires. The 215/55R16XL all-season tires are designed for higher inflation pressures to handle larger loads. Steel wheels are standard equipment on the ST and SLT trim levels of the Ram ProMaster City. Aluminum wheels are optional on the ProMaster City SLT.
Electronic stability control (ESC)
A sophisticated, four-channel electronic stability control (ESC) system is standard on the Ram ProMaster City. Built on a foundation of anti-lock brakes and traction control with independent control at each wheel, the Ram ProMaster City’s ESC system leverages a variety of sensors and controls to deliver an entire suite of active handling technologies.
Key functions of the ESC system include:
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS): The four-channel system monitors and controls the speed of each wheel independently. The ABS software uses input from a steering wheel angle sensor to adjust braking pressures in straight-line braking and mid-turn braking. This helps improve braking performance and minimize yaw. A brake-lock differential system regulates braking pressure from side to side on the front axle to optimize stopping distances and provide sway control
- Traction control (TC): Integrated with ABS, the traction control operates at all speeds. It controls wheel spin via a reduction in engine torque and, in extreme conditions, applies braking to one or more wheels
- Brake assist (BA): By detecting the speed or force that the driver uses to apply the brake, brake assist can sense an emergency braking event and activate the ABS system quicker. Faster ABS activation can reduce stop distance by engaging full braking power sooner
- Engine drag control: On low traction surfaces, there can be a difference in wheel speeds when the driver lifts off the throttle. Engine drag control senses that difference and sends more torque to the driven wheels to keep them at the same relative speed as the rear wheels to boost vehicle stability
- Trailer-sway control: When towing, the ProMaster City's yaw sensor can detect the trailer yawing in one direction. It counters and dampens that yaw motion by applying brake pressure on the vehicle's opposite side
- Hill-start Assist: When the ProMaster City detects an uphill grade of 5 percent or more, it will hold the vehicle in place for up to 2 seconds after the brake is released, giving the driver time to apply the throttle
- Rollover mitigation: The vehicle's yaw and steering wheel angle sensors combine to detect if the ProMaster City is experiencing extreme lateral forces and selectively applies brake force to reduce the chance of a rollover
- Automatic brake lamp actuation: Using brake pedal sensing and the steering angle sensor, this system senses an emergency braking situation and automatically lights and flashes the tail lamps
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City will be assembled at the TOFAS plant in Bursa, Turkey. Awarded the World Class Manufacturing Gold Medal, this 3.6-million sq. ft. (83.7 acre) state-of-the-art plant also assembles the Fiat Doblò.
Ram Truck Brand
In 2009, the Ram Truck brand launched as a stand-alone division, focused on meeting the demands of truck buyers and delivering benchmark-quality vehicles. With a full lineup of trucks, the Ram 1500, 2500/3500 Heavy Duty, 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab, ProMaster and ProMaster City, the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go.
Ram continues to outperform the competition and sets the benchmarks for:
- 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Towing capacity of 37,090 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Segment first 1,000 lb.-ft of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Payload of 7,680 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Most luxurious: Ram Limited with real wood, real leather and 12-inch Uconnect touchscreen
- Best ride and handling with exclusive link coil rear and auto-level air suspensions
- Most interior space with Ram Mega Cab
- The most cargo space available in any traditional full size cargo van
- Most capable full-size off-road pickup – Ram Power Wagon
- Ram 1500, America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 480 lb.-ft. of torque, achieves an unsurpassed 33 mpg highway and delivers up to 1,000 miles of range on a single tank of fuel
- Ram 1500 TRX is the quickest, fastest and most powerful mass-produced pickup truck in the world
- Most awarded light-duty truck in America
- Highest owner loyalty of any half-ton pickup
The latest J.D. Power APEAL study - which rates the emotional bond between customers and their vehicles – named the 2021 Ram 1500 as the best vehicle in the large light-duty pickup category. This marks the second straight year Ram 1500 has received top honors.
The Ram 1500 lineup includes the Know & Go mobile app featuring an immersive experience for customers who want to learn more about their vehicles.
Ram is part of the portfolio of brands offered by leading global automaker and mobility provider Stellantis. For more information regarding Stellantis (NYSE: STLA), please visit www.stellantis.com
Follow Ram and company news and video on:
Company blog: http://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Media website: http://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Ram Truck brand: www.ramtrucks.com