April 16, 2014,
Auburn Hills, Mich.
Marking the Italian brand’s highly anticipated return to North America, the all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C makes its New York Auto Show debut – a mid-engine design inspired by the brand’s legendary racing history, state-of-the-art carbon fiber monocoque and all-aluminum turbocharged engine influenced by Formula 1, and advanced technological solutions, all to deliver supercar-level performance and driving exhilaration.
“The all-new Alfa Romeo 4C delivers supercar-level performance in its most elemental form,” said Harald Wester, President and CEO of Alfa Romeo. “With its ultra-lightweight materials and technological solutions derived directly from motorsports, a mid-engine proportion for maximum agility and purposeful styling cues to enhance performance – the all-new 4C coupe marks Alfa Romeo’s return to sports cars and the brand’s return to North America.”
Designed to be innovative and revolutionary
The all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C highlights the brand’s DNA that separates it from all the other marques:
- Most advanced and innovative engines
- A nearly perfect 50-50 weight balance
- A unique set of technical solutions
- Class exclusive power-to-weight ratios
- Groundbreaking design, functional and distinctly Italian
The Alfa Romeo 4C is inspired by the century-old tradition of Alfa Romeo and projects the brand's authentic values into the future: Italian style, performance and engineering excellence, offering maximum driving satisfaction in total safety. The “4C” name recalls Alfa Romeo's great sporting tradition: the acronyms 8C and 6C in the 1930s and 1940s distinguished racing and road cars fitted with powerful eight and six cylinder engines. The 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C model’s designation continues this tradition with the latest all-aluminum 1750 cc turbocharged direct injection four-cylinder engine.
A tradition of essential beauty and function
The inspiration for the all-new 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C dates back to the 1967 33 Stradale, the homologated version of the racing Type 33, which is considered one of the most beautiful cars of all time. Like the 33 Stradale that combined extreme mechanical and functional requirements with undeniable Alfa Romeo style and performance – the 4C coupe shares its body forms and follows this performance tradition with an undoubtedly Italian-styled composite body “clothing,” a state-of-the-art carbon fiber and aluminum structure, and a high-performance turbocharged engine.
With a purpose-built cockpit inspired by the legendary 1967 33 Stradale, entering the interior of the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C means entering a world derived from motorsport – only essential components for performance are integrated. Two composite-framed sport seats, thermoformed dashboard and exposed carbon fiber monocoque highlight the coupe’s technological uniqueness. Furthermore, a driver-oriented cockpit with flat-bottom performance steering wheel with paddle-shift controls and aluminum pedals speak to the brand’s racing spirit. Emphasizing the Alfa Romeo 4C’s advanced technology and focus on lightweight technical solutions is a 7-inch full-color thin-film transistor (TFT) instrument cluster that displays simple, high-impact graphics to keep the driver focused on the road, or track ahead.
Ultra-lightweight: carbon fiber, aluminum and composites structures
To create the ultra-lightweight architecture needed for maximum performance and dynamic efficiency, Alfa Romeo 4C engineers looked to Formula 1 and only the most advanced supercars for state-of-the-art materials. The result is a monocoque made entirely of carbon fiber that delivers extraordinary stiffness and strength. Attached to the Alfa Romeo 4C’s exotic monocoque are front and rear cell structures, roof reinforcements and an engine-mounting frame made from lightweight aluminum.
Alfa Romeo engineers continued the use of state-of-the-art materials by creating the bodywork entirely of SMC (Sheet Molding Compound), a low-density, high-strength composite material that is 20 percent lighter and dimensionally more rigid than steel. Providing the ability to create complex shapes while saving weight by 20 percent compared to steel are PUR-RIM (injected polyurethane) fascias and rear spoiler. Engineers even optimized the Alfa Romeo 4C’s windshield and side windows by using 10 percent thinner glass to reduce weight by up to 15 percent.
Finally, two sport seats feature a carbon fiber and fiberglass reinforced-composite structure to deliver the strength and seating position needed for performance driving.
Supercar performance, compact size
Thanks to Alfa Romeo 4C’s advanced technological solutions and compact size, the coupe demonstrates its precision, agility and performance credentials with:
High-tech 1750 Turbo engine and Alfa TCT pair for exceptional performance and drivability
- The 4C exudes proportions of exotic supercars, dimensions include:
- 157.5 inches (400 cm) overall length
- 73.5 inches (186 cm) overall width
- 46.6 inches (118 cm) overall height
- 160 mph top speed
- 0-to-60 mph acceleration = mid-4 second range
- 0.335 Coefficient of drag (Cd)
- Lateral acceleration >1.1 g
- Maximum braking deceleration > 1.25g
- 2,315 lbs. (1,050 kg) dry weight
- 2,465 lbs. (1,118 kg) EPA curb weight
- 10.4 lbs./horsepower (4.7 kg/horsepower) EPA curb weight-to-power
The engine is the beating heart of any Alfa Romeo, and for the 4C, it beats to an all-new 1750 cc direct-injection 237 horsepower all aluminum engine. To ensure exceptional performance and drivability on the racetrack or city streets, this new engine features cutting-edge technical solutions, including direct-injection, intercooler, dual (intake and exhaust) continuous variable-valve timing (VVT), a camshaft with eight counterweights, and intake and exhaust systems optimized for Alfa Romeo 4C’s mid-engine layout.
A new generation turbocharger features a pulse-converter exhaust manifold to exploit pressure waves and boost torque at low-engine speeds. A waste gate valve adjusts turbo pressure and improves the engine’s efficiency. Advanced scavenging technology enables the Alfa Romeo 4C to maximize torque at low engine speeds and deliver more response to driver input by increasing combustion efficiency and turbine speed, all while eliminating turbo lag. As a result, torque delivery is instantaneous, with a peak of 258 ft.-lb. (350 Nm); 80 percent of which is available at only 1,700 rpm.
Teamed to the all-aluminum engine is a paddle-shifting Alfa TCT twin-clutch transmission, which has been specifically tuned for the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C. With its uniquely calibrated software that adjusts with the Alfa DNA selector system, the Alfa TCT’s gearshifts are designed to become most aggressive in the Dynamic and Race modes. The Alfa TCT system also integrates a “launch control” mode – delivering the utmost acceleration possible as soon as the driver releases the brake.
Innovative Alfa DNA selector
The all-new Alfa Romeo 4C features the brand’s innovative Alfa DNA selector with “Race” mode – enabling the driver to optimize the right level of performance through four modes. With a touch of the Alfa DNA selector, the character of the Alfa Romeo 4C can be changed to (in order of increasing capability):
- All-weather – designed to ensure maximum control under adverse weather conditions and enables gentler accelerator input and special engine and brake control logic to match road speed and prevent skidding
- Natural – enables grand touring comfort and smooth drivability for the Alfa TCT gearbox
- Dynamic – enables improved driving performance via a more aggressive powertrain calibration and less intrusive electronic stability control (ESC) setting
- Race – is the most extreme performance mode, putting the driver in total control of the car under race conditions. ESC and anti-slip regulation (ASR) are deactivated to allow the driver to control traction through the accelerator pedal. The Alfa Romeo Electronic Q2 differential control system remains active for fast exits out of corners or bends.
- In Race mode, launch control can be activated, allowing the Alfa Romeo 4C to deliver supercar-level 0-to-60 mph acceleration blasts in the mid-4 second range
For driving convenience in Dynamic, Natural or All-weather modes, the Alfa Romeo TCT gearbox can utilize an “auto” mode.
4C combines the best technical and manufacturing competencies of Alfa Romeo and Maserati
The very best technical and industrial expertise of the Alfa Romeo and Maserati brands were used to develop the all-new Alfa Romeo 4C. Teamwork between the two brands included the integration of the Alfa Romeo Style Center design with the well-known craftsmanship of the Maserati brand’s Modena production plant. In addition, the Alfa Romeo 4C was boosted by the technological contributions of Italian suppliers, who are international leaders in manufacturing high-performance components.
This is a distinguishing trait of Alfa Romeo, a brand with a century of history that continues to be one of the most famous and popular ambassadors of Italian products around the world.
Limited to 500 serialized units: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition
For “Alfisti” in North America, a special 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition will be made available midyear. These first 500 Alfa Romeo 4C coupes will be serialized and include the following appointments:
- Rosso Alfa, Rosso Competizione or Madreperla White exterior paint
- Bi-xenon headlamps with LED illuminated daytime running lights
- Front fascia with side air intakes
- Carbon fiber rear spoiler and mirror caps
- Race suspension tuning with front- and rear-sway bars and shock absorbers
- Racing exhaust
- Staggered 18-inch (front) and 19-inch (rear) forged wheels painted in Matte Black
- Red lacquered brake calipers
- Sport seats with black microfiber
- Leather wrapped instrument panel and door panels
- Red or White interior accent stitching on the instrument panel steering wheel, floor mats and door handles
- Interior Carbon Fiber Trim Plates
- Cluster Bezel
- Gear Shift Bezel
- Passenger Side Trim Plate
- Serialized "Launch Edition" plaque
• • •